Friday, July 2, 2010

Exhausted

Phew I have a lot of catch up to play on here. This week had been pretty busy...

Monday:
In Life drawing we just started with a warm up basically. He was introducing us to Oil paint later in the day so he wanted to keep the beginning of the day more simple. And he wanted us to start setting the poses. 
I'm not too sure why i stuck to contours... It's not really my style at all, I usually jump right into the tones and forget to set my boundaries. But Robert liked that i switched it up. "so you do know how to draw lines..." Haha :) And he also really appreciated my foreshortening.

Then we used the oil paint. We were only given a warm and cool tone of each primary color. (for those of you who do not know colors it was basically royal and navy blue, bight yellow and gold, and magenta red and deep red) And of course we were given white. He wanted us to mix the colors to get like colors (the actual colors we are seeing). I wasn't too concerned about this because Lorrie and I had taken a painting class last semester so we have a lot of recent experience in mixing colors. However we used acrylic paints in that class so oil was brand new for both of us. And painting in general was brand new for Krista.

I started with a pale yellow under painting to give myself boundaries.... with acrylic paint it would have dried right and and not mixed with my top painting... but oil doesn't dry fast so she turned a bit yellow all over :) oopsies.
Also her colors are exaggerated... I always tend to do that... In painting last semester too. My paintings always turn out more vibrant than whatever it is that I am supposed to be painting... But Robert really enjoyed it. He is giving us more time next monday to keep working on them so he said mine is an awesome start. The oil is hard for me to paint with though. I am so used to acrylic and oil just most across the paper differently, and reacts different to being diluted.

And after drawing was Survey. We went to the National Portrait Gallery today. It is basically a museum with portraits of famous people... mostly the history of England.
  
So the corner of the black fence is where we met for class. And while we were standing there talkign about the arcitechure of the building a homelss looking man came up to our professor and said. "YOU ARE IN MY SPOT! you need to move over there." and pointed to the other side.
HAHAHAHA! homeless people are so possessive of the funniest things. So we moved to the other side, and continued our conversation which eventually had to be moved inside because the dear old homeless man was upset with being able to hear our professors voice and started to yell louder over him. It was quite entertaining. haha.

we were not allowed to take pictures so there is not much I can show you :( however if you ever get to London I could take you here and give you a mini tour and history of London :)

After class I decided to walk back to the flat. I have fallen in Love with walking here. Every thing is so pretty! you can never get bored walking. Also on the bus or tube you miss out on all of the beauty, plus you are wasting money.
I wore my tennis shoes cause me feet were still sore from Paris and i knew i wanted to walk. Walking in tennis shoes feels so much better than flip flops. :) haha. On the way I stopped in a cute souvenir shop and when i left it i had forgotten my surrounds and didn't exactly know how to get back. I wandered for a while thinking i was goign in the right direction and feeling dumb that i forgot my map... So when i finally found a map i realized that I had wandered in the wrong direction and really had no clue where i was. so i figured i'd be safe and hop on the tube because as long as you know here you have to get to in the end you can get anywhere from the tube. and there are stations everywhere so it wasn't hard finding one.

Then we all went out for the night to celebrate being back in London. haha. We love it here :)


Tuesday:
I was exhausted from the weekend still so I slept in a bit. And then I had Survey in the afternoon.
We went to the Tate Britian. This museum is basically all art from different time periods done by British people...


Harrier and Jaguar - Fiona Banner
 It is an upside down plane... We didn't focus on it too much just the fact that it was the newest piece in the museum.

Portrait of Captain Thomas Lee - Marcus Gheeraests II
 hehe He is not wearing any trousers. I used the word "pants" in discussion and my professor informed me that indeed he was wearing pants.... but he was not wearing trousers. I guess pants means underwear here.... lol
Thomas is a hunter and in this terrain he is more successful at hunting when he is trouser-less. He is able to run and move faster with out them and also go through the swamps without being weighed down. He was one of the great hunters and warriors of the time. He was captured and tortured once but he placed his own hand in the fire to show that he would injure himself before he would give away any information (that is why his one hand is limp)
 
Painter and his Pug 
This painting was done to prove that the English can paint. During the time the English were known for their writing abilities and they wanted to prove that they had other talents as well.

Three studies for figures at the base of a crucifixion- Francis Bacon

Giovanna Baccelli - Thomas Gainsborough
  

Ship Wreck

Ophelia - Sir John Everett Millais
It is Hamlet's girlfriend... You know the story.
The painter had a girl pose in a bathtub of water for this painting and she developed a "chill" so her father sewed the artist for the medical costs.

Damien Hurst - Away from the Flock
It is a real lamb. Damien has a more famous piece of a real shark preserved in the same way.

Damien Hurst - Controlled substances
 
Damien experimented with a lot of drugs, so this was supposed to explain his experiences while on LSD and other drugs of the sort.

Again I walked home after class, and this time I did not get lost :)
I was so exhausted when I got back that I passed out for a good 4 hours. When I woke up It was late so I just caught up on some work and then went back to bed.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors


Statistics